Saturday, December 17, 2011

Seagull II


"I must down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by,
And the wheel's kick and the wind's song and the white sail's shaking,
And a grey mist on the sea's face, and a grey dawn breaking.

I must down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.

I must down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life,
To the gull's way and the whale's way where the wind's like a whetted knife;
And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover
And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick's over."
~By John Masefield (1878-1967).


I took another trip to Bayport Park today.  I sat in the car a long time just watching the seagulls fly around.  It was good to get out of the house.  The poem is titled "Sea Fever".

4 comments:

  1. Cindy....that poem by Masefield brings back a lot of memories. I had to memorize so many poems during my junior year in college. This is one of the poems.
    As you were out of your house and at Bayport Park today, I hope that you found a peaceful time....for you.
    The photo of the segull is lovely.
    Love and hugs to you,
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jackie. It was peaceful, cool and sunny. Today its been three weeks since Mom went away. I just needed to get out of the house and get my mind off of it. I think it helped. At least for a little while anyway.

    The poem is one of my favorites. Hope you're having a wonderful weekend.

    Love,
    C.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent shot. So bright, clear and crisp.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you. I was surprised at how it came out. It was windy and I have a hurt shoulder so I really thought they would all come out blurry. Happy Sunday.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments. Thanks for visiting. ~Cindy :)